This sweet and spirited rose petal peach crostata is inspired by my friend Rebecka. Rebecka makes rose petal jelly and she gifted me some. The crostata or tart as some may call it is also spirited with peach tree schnapps to increase its peachiness. I think a little liqueur is a good thing when it comes to baked goods.
Of course, any great fruit bake starts with the best fruit. In season and fresh picked summer peaches are numero uno! Whether you pick them yourself or pick up a basket at a local farm market is totally up to you. What I love about baking with peaches is that they keep their juicy, jammy shape. They are so, beautifully delicious. Just bake it.
Now, we can make baking this spirited rose petal peach galette (notice what I did there?) easy by using a store bought puff pastry. Try and find one that's made with all butter. I buy mine at TJ's. If you can't find rose petal jelly feel free to just leave it out or add another flavor jelly that you like. Meanwhile, preparing the almond frangipane is super easy with the ingredients buzzed up in the food processor. Now, for peeling ripe peaches.
How to peel peaches for spirited rose petal peach crostata
- with the tip pf a knife score an "x" into the bottom of the peach
- drop the peaches into boiling water for 30 seconds
- transfer peaches to an icy water bath
- peel the skins off
A touch of rose petal baked into a peachy frangipane tart
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
¼ cup almond paste
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons soft butter
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon peach shnappes
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons rose petal jelly
1 tablespoon corn starch
⅛ teaspoon salt
Few grinds fresh nutmeg
3 large fresh ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced
Turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
- Heat 0ven 400F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment. Lay puff pastry on prepared baking sheet.
- In food processor, pulse almond paste and sugar until sandy in texture. Add butter, egg yolk, schnapps and salt; process until well mixed. Spread frangipane mixture in a circular pattern on puff pastry leaving a 2-inch edge.
- In large bowl, whisk lemon juice, jelly, cornstarch, salt and nutmeg until blended. Add peaches and gently toss to coat.
- Arrange peaches over almond mixture in single overlapping layer. Spoon any remaining juice in bowl over peaches.
- Lift edges of pastry and fold and pinch to pleat over the fruit. Sprinkle edge of crust with sugar. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and crisp.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tart, galette, pie, peach, frangipane, summer
What's a crostata, galette, tart
I think a tart is basically a shallow pie made fancy by a neat fluted edged pan. There is a removable bottom, so the tart can be presented out of the pan. A galette, on the other hand, requires no pan at all. Some call the free-form pastry "rustic", but I think it's quite elegant. Crostata is the Italian word for the free-form pastry and since I am Italian I will go with that.
And if you would like to make your own rose petal jelly check out. At Home with Rebecka. That girl is a peach!