Spirited Southern Belle Bars
This week I was treated to an overwhelming amount of kindness. My nephews Michael and Felipe pulled out all the stops to make me feel welcome in their gorgeous home in sunny Orlando.
It started with a spa treatment and then snorkeling and floating down the lazy river at Discovery Cove. There were thoughtful gifts left on my pillow. One surprise after another including a special candle that smells like gingerbread because they know I love to bake. These two young men made me feel so loved and special. I am ever so grateful for their kindness. They inspire me to be a better more thoughtful person.
This is my 1 year "blogiversary" and I owe you. Looking back at my About page I wrote, "I am happy you are here and always grateful for any kindness shown me." You, my friends and followers have out-done yourselves. Your comments and support have comforted me and others in so many ways. Never underestimate the power of a little kindness. It changes the world for the good. So to show my appreciation you can win this delicious box of spices from Penzey's. You know what to do...leave a kind comment. On November 1st I will randomly choose a winner and send you a little kindness for your palate.
In the meantime, here is a little thank you recipe. It's spirited and inspired by one of the kindest boys I know. He spent a little time down south at Camp LeJeune. I hope you try these Spirited Southern Belle Bars.Print
Chocolate and peanut butter need I say more?
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ¾ teaspoons salt, divided
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
2 cups (16 ounces) peanut butter
1 cup (8 ounces) granulated sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons bourbon, divided
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups (12 oz.) chopped bittersweet chocolate
2 cups semisweet chocolate chops
1 cup chopped peanuts, optional
- Heat oven 350F. Lightly coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with no-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper leaving a small overhang.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and 1 ½ teaspoons of salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 1 cup of butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, followed by 2 tablespoons of bourbon.
- Stir in the flour mixture just until combined.
- Gently press about ⅔ of the dough into an even layer over the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a microwave safe dish, heat the condensed milk, bittersweet chocolate, 2 tablespoons of butter and ¼ teaspoon of salt, stirring every 30 seconds until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of bourbon.
- Spread chocolate mixture evenly over dough in pan.
- Crumble or dollop the remaining dough on top.
- Sprinkle the top with semisweet chocolate and peanuts; gently press down.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden on top.
- Cool completely in the pan before cutting into bars.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: cookies and bars
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate peanut butter, snacks, dessert, southern living