Let's talk about these amazing strawberry stuffed sourdough pancakes. Yes, I can't deny that I'm a day late and a dollar short on Mother's Day, but I'd feel terrible if I did not share this one with all my strawberry and sourdough lovers. And if you don't have an aebelskiver pan, well, you must go out (strike that due to COVID19), I mean order one on-line because serving these strawberry stuffed sourdough puffy pancakes to your friends and family guarantees you rock-star status in the kitchen.
Yes, they can be made ahead and frozen. Rewarm in the oven
I prefer a non-stick pan
Any of your favorite fresh fruits and syrups
One of my favorite uses of sourdough discard this recipe starts the night before and finishes in the morning.
3 oz. (62.5 g) sourdough starter (great use of discard)
¾ cup (184 g) milk
2 teaspoons sugar
¾ cup (109 g) cake flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted plus extra for greasing pan
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, separated
Fresh California strawberries, ½ cup small dice plus 10 strawberries, sliced
- The night before, in a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk sourdough starter, milk, sugar and cake flour until blended. Cover and set aside on counter overnight.
- In the morning, stir in melted butter, salt, baking powder, vanilla and egg yolks.
- Whip egg whites to just stiff peaks. Using a rubber spatula, fold egg whites into batter.
- Brush the wells of an ebelskiver pan with butter and place over medium heat. When the bubbling of the butter subsides, spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into each well.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of diced strawberries into the center of each pancake. Top each with enough batter to fill the well. Cook the pancakes for 3 to 5 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown and crisp.
- Use two wooden chopsticks or skewers to turn pancakes. Cook 2 to 3 minutes more or until lightly brown.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients keeping cooked pancakes warm in a 200F oven.
- To serve, arrange warm pancakes on individual serving plates and top with sliced strawberries, whipped cream, maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar, if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: brunch
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: Strawberry, Stuffed, Sourdough, Pancakes, Ebelskivers, breakfast