Fantastic Fennel Apple Pie
Days like today remind me just how much I love my son and how much he was loved by others. Thru his goodness I am constantly blessed. He continues to bring me great joy when I least suspect it.
My heart nearly exploded when I saw Emily at the door. It’s been a few years since I have seen her. A surprise visit along with her dad and a lovely vase of flowers. And William stories. Funny William stories. One, in particular, I had never heard before. Scattegories….scary words that start with G. Oh, my goodness–His answer (an inside joke)…so funny and clever. One could always count on him for a good, spit soda out your nose kind of laugh.
Today was such a gift and I have dear sweet Emily to thank for it. I hope you all have “an Emily” in your life. Pay a surprise visit to someone who can use cheering up. It just might make all the difference in the world.
No surprise that today’s recipe for Fantastic Fennel Apple Pie is just a little off beat. It is kind of what I do best. Take your typical apple pie and give it a bit of a twist with fennel. Fennel and apples are like BFF’s-it works. Try it and be surprised at how delicious this combo is.Print
Pastry for double crust pie
6 medium baking apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced, then chopped (1 cup), fronds reserved for garnish
½ cup dried sweetened cranberries
1-tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
pinch of salt
- Heat oven 425F. Roll out half of pie dough to fit 9-inch pie plate.
- In large bowl, toss apples, fennel and cranberries with lemon juice.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, flour and salt; sprinkle over apple mixture and gently toss again.
- Spoon filling into prepared crust.
- With the tip of your finger moisten the edge of crust with some water.
- Roll out remaining pie dough. Top pie with second crust wrapping any excess top crust under bottom crust edge pressing to seal. Flute edges.
- Cut several slits in top crust with the tip of a knife to vent steam.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- During last 15 minutes of baking time cover fluted edge of pie with a crust protector or foil to prevent excessive browning, if needed.
- Cool before serving. Garnish with fennel fronds.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
Keywords: apple pie, fennel, pie, tart