Homemade buttermilk banana biscuits are bite-size buttery delights. With golden crispy edges and fresh banana flavor they make for a perfect breakfast side and/or a fabulous tea party treat. With just a few pantry staples and 1 over ripe banana you will be enjoying this best banana biscuit recipe in no time at all.
How to make biscuit dough
- Mix dry ingredients like flour, baking powder and salt
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture forming pea-sized clumps
- Mix wet ingredients like buttermilk, honey and banana
- Pour wet into dry and mix into a soft dough
This is a sticky dough. Don't be afraid to dust your board with flour when it comes time to pat out and cut the dough. I use a 1 ½-inch cutter to make petite buttermilk banana biscuits. You can cut them to any size you like. You can even cut them into squares with a knife. Your baking time will vary, but just look for a lovely golden brown.
Now, if you are thinking of having a teddy bear tea party, a bridal brunch or a baby shower, I highly recommend you bake these biscuits. They are a two-bite delight that can hold a variety of fillings. You are only limited by your imagination creating tea sandwiches.
Filling for buttermilk banana biscuits
- peanut butter and mini chocolate chip
- berry jam and coordinating fresh sliced fruit
- crispy bacon
- honey butter
Buttery crispy edges with ripe banana flavor these homemade buttermilk banana biscuits make a perfect tea sandwich.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced (plus 2 tablespoons melted)
½ cup cold buttermilk
½ cup (1 medium) smashed banana*
1 tablespoon honey plus additional for serving
- Heat oven to 425F. Line a rimmed 9x12-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt for 30 seconds. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender forming pea-sized clumps.
- Mix buttermilk, banana and honey until blended; add to dry ingredients. Stir and combine into a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and pat into a rectangle, ½-inch thick. Fold the sides of the rectangle to meet in the center and pat again to ½-inch thickness.
- Using a 1 ½-inch round cutter, cut out biscuits and arrange on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with melted butter.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with honey or split and fill with your favorite tea sandwich ingredients.
*For the best banana flavor use a very over-ripe banana.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Quick breads
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: biscuits, scones, buttermilk, tea sandwiches, banana, breakfast, brunch, kid's snacks