Best Island Hopping Burger
When Saucy Mama put out the call to bloggers to create new recipes using their sauces, dressings and marinades for the chance to win a spot at the World Food Championships I jumped right in with the best Island hopping burger. First of all, the company sent me an assortment of their delicious products (yes-I tried them all). Second of all, one of my lucky readers will be gifted an assortment of wing sauces; such a generous win-win for everybody.
This lip-smacking recipe cooks up quickly once you assemble your ingredients and prepare them for the grill. It's a giant burger with some bold spicy-sweet flavor that will have you longing for some sand between your toes and a cool drink in your hand.
Tropical twist on an amazing burger.
4 large shrimp, shelled, deveined
2 tablespoons Saucy Mama Hot Wing Sauce
1 tablespoon Saucy Mama Honey Dijon Dressing
¼ cup small dice fresh mango
¼ cup crushed, well-drained canned pineapple
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
¾- pound ground pork
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Saucy Mama Jamaican Jerk Wing Sauce, divided
¼ cup chopped green onions
4 tablespoons panko bread crumbs, divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
¾-pound ground chicken
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Saucy Mama Orange Habanero Wing Sauce, divided
vegetable oil for greasing grill rack
4 chunks fresh pineapple
1 sweet onion, cut into ½-inch slices
4 brioche hamburger buns, sliced horizontally into 3 layers
4 leaves fresh butter lettuce
- Heat grill to medium-high. Soak 4 (6-inch) wooden skewers in water.
- In small bowl, toss shrimp with Hot Wing sauce; set aside.
- In small bowl, stir mayonnaise, Honey Dijon Dressing, mango, crushed pineapple and 1-tablespoon cilantro until well-mixed; set Tropical Honey Dijon Dressing aside.
- In medium bowl, combine pork, ¼ cup Jamaican Jerk Wing sauce, green onions, 2 tablespoons panko and ½ teaspoon of salt; mix well. Dip hands in cool water; with damp hands shape pork mixture into 4 (4-inch) patties.
- In same bowl, combine chicken, ¼ cup Orange Habanero Wing Sauce, remaining panko, cilantro and salt; mix well. With wet hands shape chicken mixture into 4 (4-inch) patties.
- Thread 1 pineapple chunk and 1 shrimp on each skewer.
- Brush grill rack with oil. Place pork and chicken patties on rack. Cook, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until just cooked through, brushing the pork patties with remaining Jerk sauce and chicken patties with remaining Orange Habanero sauce after turning.
- While the patties are grilling, place the onion slices and shrimp-pineapple skewers on grill rack; cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until the onions are crisp tender and the shrimp are pink and just cooked through.
- During the last few minutes of cooking time, place the rolls, cut side down, on outer edges of grill rack to toast lightly.
To assemble the burgers divide the tropical dressing into 8 portions. On each roll bottom spread 1 portion of dressing, 1 lettuce leaf and 1 pork patty. Top the pork patty with the middle layer of toasted bun, another portion of dressing, a chicken patty and some grilled onions. Add the roll tops. Press the shrimp-pineapple skewer through the top of the burger.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: main dish
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: tropical
Keywords: burgers, patties, shrimp, pork, chicken, BBQ, island, tropical
Now for the gifting. Simply leave a comment on which Saucy Mama product you are most eager to taste (believe me I know you want them all). Meanwhile, do yourself a favor and join Saucy Mama on Facebook and Twitter. Surround yourself with their generosity of spirit. Let me know if you make the Best Island Hopping Burger, too.