In a world where good news seems scarce let me simply share a sweet recipe guaranteed to brighten your day and put a belly-satisfying smile on your face. This recipe for Strawberry Kropsua is kind of a cross between a pancake, a crepe and a souffle, but reminds me most of a popover.
In the photos above you will notice how the edges of the batter rise high above the pan leaving a center pocket making it perfect for all kinds of luscious fruit filling. Some might fill it with fresh apples and squeeze of lemon juice calling it a Dutch Baby pancake, but in my case I'm filling it with the fruit of the season...fresh strawberries tossed with a sprinkle of sugar and touch of vanilla.
The right kropsua pan
Do I have you salivating now? Before I share the recipe we need to talk about two things. First, the cast iron pan. Please only use cast iron for the best results. The pan is pre-heated in the oven before pouring in the batter. I use 4-inch pans and here is a really important tip. Measure your pans across the bottom and not the top. That is the standard for measuring as with many pans the top is usually wider than the bottom. You are welcome.
Next thing you need to know is that I am sharing this recipe in metric measurements to insure accuracy. Buy a kitchen scale if you don't already have one. Gluten development is the enemy of this recipe, so it's important to add the exact measurement of flour and gently whisk it in. We all measure differently, but we all weigh ingredients the same. Capice? (ca-peesh). Too much flour will yield a dense kropsua and that's just sad.
Kropsua is the Finnish version of a Dutch Baby Pancake
50 grams all-purpose flour
80 milliliters whole milk
15 grams sugar
⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla
5 grams butter
For the strawberries:
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
Sweetener of choice (I like a tablespoon of sugar or maple syrup)
¼ teaspoon vanilla
A squeeze of fresh lemon or orange juice added in is nice and sunny
Toss it all together just prior to starting the kropsua
- Place the flour in a batter bowl or mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the milk, egg, sugar, salt and vanilla until blended. Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture until mixture is smooth.
- Let this mixture rest while oven heats up; this allows the gluten to relax.
- Place two 4-inch skillets in the oven. Heat the oven to 425F.
- When the oven comes to temperature, remove skillets from oven and divide butter among them.
- Place back in the oven for a minute to let bubbling of butter subside.
- Pour rested batter evenly into hot skillets. Bake for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Dust with powdered sugar and fill with strawberries.
- For the strawberries: Toss it all together just prior to starting the kropsua
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Brunch
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Finnish
Keywords: pancake, kropsua, lodge cast iron, breakfast, holiday ideas, fresh fruit