This Tropical Butternut Squash Soup is all I can think about when the weather turns cold. Seasonal butternut squash, coconut milk and curry spices blend perfectly with the tropical goodness of Sam's Fresh Mango Pineapple Salsa for a warming, nutritious meal. Add some hearty bread and who doesn't love a creamy, cozy bowl of soup for dinner?
This is my second main dish entry in the Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger Recipe Challenge. I received several containers of Sam's Fresh Mango Pineapple Salsa (notice the new packaging) to create out of this world recipes.
Let's Get Cooking.
Butternut squash is one of my favorite fall vegetables. For this soup, I hand-picked one right from my garden roasting it to bring out some deep, rich flavors. Using the freshest ingredients really does make the best recipes. Naturally, the bright flavors of mango, pineapple and peppers found in Sam's Fresh Salsa play well with the squash along with creamy coconut milk and warm spices like cumin, allspice and curry. Please enjoy!Print
A taste of the tropics in a creamy butternut squash soup.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
1 to 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 (12 oz.) container Sam’s Fresh Mango Pineapple Salsa
3 cups packed (1 ½ pounds) roasted butternut squash (see notes)
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro plus additional for garnish
¼ cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes (for garnish)
Mexican crema, for garnish
- In a Dutch oven or other stock pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and ½ teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, cumin and allspice, toast for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Stir in salsa and 1 teaspoon of salt; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until salsa is heated through.
- Add the squash and broth; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in coconut milk and cilantro.
- Using an immersion blender or a stand-up blender, puree the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the pot.
- Serve hot with a swirl of Mexican crema.
- Garnish with the toasted coconut and the remaining cilantro.
To roast butternut squash simply slice off the stem and slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Turn squash cut-side-down on a greased foiled line pan. Bake at 400F for 45 minutes or until soft and tender. Cool and scoop out the flesh.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: coconut curry, butternut squash soup, easy main dish, fresh and flavorful, fresh salsa
I hope you will give Tropical Butternut Squash Soup a try. Please let me know how you like it. Check out Sam’s Fresh Salsa web site for more information and great recipes. Further, you can purchase Sam’s fresh at: ShopRite, Acme, and Safeway.
Sam's Fresh Salsa. It's not just for nachos let me tell you.