This wild blueberry smoothie latte is guaranteed to warm you up.
Baby it's cold outside! Get out the warm wool sweaters, favorite fleece lined boots and the blender. Blender? Yes, I said blender because we are making smoothies. Believe it or not winter is one of the most popular times of the year for smoothie making because it fits right in with those healthy new year resolutions. Smoothies are the easy way to pack more nutrition into your diet.
Now let's talk about wild blueberries.
Wild blueberries are little purple powerhouses of nutrition. Grown in barrens across Maine and Canada wild blueberries are quite different from those that are planted or cultivated. Wild blueberries have grown naturally under harsh conditions for 10,000 years, so they have adapted with more than 2x the antioxidants and fiber of cultivated blueberries. Frozen at harvest to lock in the goodness studies show that they may help prevent the onset of cancer, heart disease, alzheimer's and diabetes. With a well balanced sweet-tart flavor just about everything pairs well with these super fruits in a smoothie.
What is a smoothie
Webster's dictionary defines a smoothie as "a creamy beverage made of fruit blended with juice, milk, or yogurt." Much to my delight it doesn't seem like I am breaking any smoothie rules by going warm instead of cold. It's freezing outside here in Pennsylvania and I can use all the antioxidants I can get to boost my immune system. Fighting off a cold or the flu? I have a smoothie for you!
And yes, I really did accidentally spill all that froth all over the counter.
With its warm revitalizing chai tea spices this wildest blueberry smoothie latte will certainly cure your winter blues. Let me know if you try it.Print
Healthy and delicious.
1-cup fresh frozen wild blueberries
1 ½ tablespoons real maple syrup
2 chai flavored tea bags
½ cup milk (or almond milk)
⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- Place blueberries and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup in blender.
- In small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from heat. Add tea bags; let steep for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat milk with remaining ½ tablespoon of maple syrup and ⅛ teaspoon of cinnamon just to a simmer, stirring to combine.
- Add hot tea to blender with blueberries. Add ¼ cup of the hot milk mixture; blend well.
- Froth the remaining milk mixture with an immersion blender or tool specially designed for frothing milk.
- Divide the hot tea mixture among two mugs and top with frothy milk.
- Sprinkle with additional blueberries and cinnamon, if desired. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: drink
- Method: stovetop/blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: latte, frothed milk, wild blueberries, healthy, smoothie, chai tea, winter
Frozen wild blueberries are available all year long in the frozen food section of the grocery store. Click here if you would like to try my Easy as A-B-C Wild Blueberry Smoothie